Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Rick Perry Understands

I ran across this infographic today.  I enjoyed it very much and recommend taking a few minutes to read it.  It was really a positive way for me to remember the 10th anniversary of 9-11, especially since I had been dwelling on the morbid realities and details of that day for the past week or so.  The fact that America has found ways to bring hope and positivity out of an event so terrible is very reassuring to me.  I hope that spirit continues.

***

Quick sketch of Rick Perry

Rick Perry is going to go ahead and debate tomorrow! I am very excited to hear what he has to say and see how he looks against all the other candidates.  Honestly, after watching Obama speak today I was left with the simple desire to vote for a stronger leader. I think America wants this too, and I think Rick Perry just may fit the bill. He radiates a stability and security that contrasts greatly with Obama's compromising ways.  The best part is that Perry's apparent objectivity does not seem to compromise his ability to understand the nuances of certain issues, like illegal immigration.  The fact that he does seem to understand this issue at a deeper level is one of the things that makes him seem so stable and secure. Because of experience I think he knows why he believes what he believes, which in my opinion, makes him much less likely to waver.  I only hope that the rest of the right can be educated on this issue.  I'm sure that if true compassionate conservatives, especially Christians, understood the reality of the matter, they would be much less likely to protest Perry's seemingly liberal views.  I don't think Hispanics will be complaining though.  I certainly am not.

The other major asset that Perry brings to the table in a general election is immigration. The Republican nominee’s ability to connect with Hispanic voters, concentrated in battleground states like Nevada, Colorado, and Florida, is critical to winning the White House in 2012 and beyond. Perry brings a track record of Hispanic outreach in Texas, and he carried 38 percent of the Hispanic vote in 2010 against Democrat Bill White, in line with George W. Bush’s performance as governor.
More notably, while campaigning to win the conservative Republican base, he has carefully avoided the strident anti-immigration rhetoric that often characterizes the party’s loudest voices. He came out against a border fence—virtual heresy among elements of the right—and didn’t back down from his support of allowing illegal immigrants to receive in-state tuition in his state. Perry’s team is playing long ball, and it recognizes the importance of the Hispanic vote and his unique ability to win enough of them over.
Pair Perry on the presidential ticket with an up-and-coming Hispanic running mate such as Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida or New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez, and the Hispanic vote is squarely in play. Gallup found Obama’s approval among Hispanics down to 44 percent. If Obama can’t win over a clear majority of Hispanics, ball game’s over.
 -Josh Kraushaar of the National Journal via Freep

No comments:

Post a Comment